Saturday, March 13, 2010

365 Days of Scooters: Day 72

Time for a little scooter gear love.

I got my first real riding jacket just about five years ago (March 19, 2005 to be exact...yes, I actually found the receipt). It's an Olympia that has served me fairly well in all seasons. The zip out liner means it's wearable during some of the colder months and mesh/ventilation makes it doable in summer as well (although black probably wasn't the best of choices for sunny, humid days). Aside from a recent zipper malfunction, it has held up fairly well through more than 12,000 miles on the road.

Armor at the shoulders and elbow and back protection helped me feel safer on the roads, but the linebacker-like styling left something to be desired...and stowing it away for work meetings that require a suit required some creative scooter packing.

Needless to say, I was excited to hear last fall about a new line of ladies riding jackets in the works that was both fashionable and protective. And even more excited to see GoGo Gear in person today at Modern Classics. I couldn't resist bringing home "the trench."

According to the GoGo Gear Web site, it's waterproof, armored and abrasion resistant. It's also got some super-duper reflectiveness happening around the edges, on the lapels, wrist and (reversible) belt.

Periods of torrential rain kept me off the road today, but I couldn't resist wearing my new jacket to lunch and on the around town errands. Even though this jacket includes armor at the back, shoulder and elbows, you can't tell by looking at it! Sooooo nice to not feel like a bulky robot while walking around the library!

I'm definitely looking forward to my first GoGo Gear ride!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails