I've been fixated for months on making belt buckles. I've tried three different types of resin, numerous pieces for casting, different techniques for mixing, etc. Now, I haven't been trying to make one every day--but it has certainly seemed like it lately.
My first attempt in the fall was a dismal failure--those early pieces ended up in the trash. I promptly moved on to some other projects and took a break from my buckle quest.
As the weather started to get warmer and riding season approached, I decided to try again. My second round of pieces using a different kind of resin turned out a little better, but I still couldn't get it right (dang air bubbles everywhere).
A few weeks ago I was frustrated beyond belief and ready to give up. But for some reason, my stubborn side just wouldn't let it go--I was sooooo close to getting it right. I decided to give it one more shot with still another type of resin. Success at last.
Thankfully, I learned a lot from each of my failed attempts--and a few of the better "failures" will keep my husband and I in belt buckles for many days to come.
I just listed my first buckle for sale through my Etsy store. Click the photo below to get your hands on it! I'm beefing up my stock of goodies for two upcoming shows (Pile of Craft and a Trunk Show at the Etsy Labs) so it will probably be the first week of July before I list more for sale online--but do drop me a line if you'd like to get your hands on one sooner!